Back to Normal After a Pandemic
April 30, 2021 10:26 am / Category: Dana Point
Returning to sport can be difficult, especially after taking a year off. There are 3 things to consider in your journey back:
1.Allow yourself extra time to warm up:
- Foam roll
- Hamstrings, quads, calves, glutes, T/S extension, thread the needle
- Doorway pec stretch, hamstrings stretch, prone quad stretch, piriformis stretch
- Dynamic warm-up; a 3D dynamic warm-up is the best to get all joints in your body moving
- Foam roll
2.Scale it back to half of what you were doing:
- If you were running 3 miles, then start with 1. If you were used to walking for 30 minutes, then get out there and start with 15 minutes. Don’t go and play a tournament of pickleball. Play a match and take two days off to see how you feel instead.
3.Look out for Signs and Symptoms of an oncoming injury:
- Burning, pulling or sharp pains are signs of potential strains if not taken care of
- Pain during the activity
- Pain that doesn’t go away after the activity stops
- Need to ice afterward all the time
- Need to reach for the medicine cabinet after the activity
If foam rolling, stretching, and scaling it back still don’t do the trick with returning to your sport or level of activity you want to be at, it is safest to come in for an evaluation. You may need a deep tissue release to get a muscle activated properly or a body alignment check-up to optimize muscle function.
A tissue release may be what you need right now, to prevent that injury and optimize your performance. We are here with certified therapists to help you. Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/
rauschpt or call us at (949) 276-5401 to book an appointment. Let’s get you on the road to recovery.
If you find yourself in discomfort or think you could benefit from a personalized exercise plan, talk to a Physical Therapist.
Let’s talk! We are here to help. Give us a call for a complimentary assessment. Did you know there’s no prescription needed from a doctor to see us? (949) 276-5401