Therapeutic massage incorporates a variety of advanced modalities that enhance the body’s natural restorative functioning. Light to firm touch is used to release tension, relax muscles, increase blood and lymph circulation, and impart a sense of calm. Therapeutic massage can be used as a collaborative, supportive addition to conventional medical treatment of illness and injury, alleviating pain and stress, aiding soft tissue healing, and revitalizing the body. Also, regular massage can enhance health, providing relaxation, the release of muscle tightness, relief from anxiety and tensions, and balancing aspects of body/mind/spirit.
Research has shown that therapeutic massage techniques may be helpful in the following conditions:
- Stress, Anxiety, Depression: promotes relaxation response, enhances coping mechanisms in patients undergoing treatment for cancer, reduces symptoms of anxiety, depression and stress disorders
- Pain control: fibromyalgia, arthritis, sciatica, headaches, childbirth
- Chronic lung disease: increases respiratory function and decreases anxiety
- Digestive: adjunctive therapy to the treatment of chronic constipation
- Injuries: overuse and repetitive strain injuries, workplace and athletic trauma, whiplash